Thursday 7 July 2011

Ghost the musical

'Relive one of Hollywood’s most romantic yet tragic love stories live on stage with Ghost the Musical. Adapted from the 1990 Oscar Award winning film starring Patrick Swayze, Demi Moore and Whoopi Goldberg, Ghost the Musical breathes new life into this classic story of love and loss.
The story follows Sam and Molly, who on their way back to their apartment one night are confronted by a mugger who leaves Sam wounded and dying in the street. Unable to leave Molly behind and let her go, Sam is trapped as a ghost between this world and the next and when he discovers that Molly is in grave danger he must do everything he can to find a way to communicate with her.
Enter Oda Mae Brown, a storefront psychic who claims to be able to hear the dead, but never has done. That is until Sam arrives looking for help and for the first time in her life she can hear the dead. Sam must convince Oda Mae Brown to listen to him and try and get her to talk to Molly and warn her of the danger she is in before it is too late.’
Many thanks

That was the press release I was sent to along with my tickets, but I can't think of many people that won't know the story of Ghost and I can't think of many people, especially people in my age group that didn't love the movie but would it translate well to a Musical that was my big question, I couldn't quite figure out how they would produce the necessary affects let alone put the script to song!

So last night I headed out to the Piccadilly Theatre to see!

This production features music and lyrics by Dave Stewart(Eurythmics) and Glen Ballard and it wouldn't be 'Ghost' if id didn't contain Unchained Melody!

The show is directed my Matthew Warchus, has set and costume design by Rob Howell, illusions are by Paul Kieve and Musical Supervisor and Arranger is Christopher Nightingale.

Lead roles in the London cast are Richard Fleeshman in the rile of Sam Wheat, Caissie Levy in the role Molly Jensen, Sharon D. Clarke in the role of Oda Mae Brown and Andrew Langtree in the role of Carl Bruner.







Well as I said at the start I wasn't sure how this would translate to music and I really didn't know what to expect but let me start by saying that the set, the visual affects and illusions are outstanding! I mean really outstanding, The use of computer imagery combined with traditional set is inspired, the illusions leave you wondering how? the changes seamless I really cannot rate the set highly enough, however unfortunately I felt that the show itself was lacking somewhat I can't quite put my finger on why though, The story didn't stray that far from the original, The cast can sing and I mean really sing! all had beautiful strong voices that were a pleasure to listen to unfortunately I didn't find the songs themselves that strong I didn't walk away from the theatre with the ability to sing one let alone hum the tune , lyrically I found some of them quite weak and the subway scene the poorest of all, the rap was just 'wrong' of course this is just my opinion and others may love it.

The iconic pottery wheel scene I feel was under played but the acting was good in fact all the actors did an incredible job.

The choreography was good I could see what the choreographer was trying to achieve some of the dancers however didn't seem at ease with the steps.

The real joy of the show for me was Sharon  D Clarke her performance of Oda Mae was Outstanding! and the voices of the cast rarely have I heard such strong voices, truly enjoyable

The final scenes and affects were spectacular.

All in all it was a good show with a full house and it received a standing ovation for me personally I'm glad I went, I did enjoy it but ticket prices what they are for this show if I had paid to see it I would have been a little disappointed.

If I had to rate this musical out of 5, I would give it a 4 but I have to say that is mainly for the visual affects and illusions and the singing.

But what I can say is I now want to watch Ghost the movie, ah, the late great Patrick Swayze *quietly hums unchained melody*

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd really love to hear from you , whether you choose to follow or just drop by for a read , so say Hi and let me know what you think, really I'm asking!

Go on you know you want to!